The decision to dissolve a marriage is never easy and is usually preceded by a great deal of soul-searching and debate. With this intensively personal decision also comes the overwhelming emotions of anger, hurt and frustration. At this particularly vulnerable stage of a conventional divorce situation, the couples can easily become caught up in an expensive, traumatic and time-consuming system of adversarial litigation.
Family law experts agree that our court system generally does not meet the needs of the divorcing couple. However, if you and your spouse are considering divorce and are willing to work together towards a settlement, divorce mediation represents a positive solution to this painful situation.
THE MEDIATION PROCESS
Mediation allows the divorcing couple an objective, and more economical, non-adversarial forum in which to discuss their individual needs and work out settlements of property, support, custody and visitation issues.
Attorneys who specialize in family law serve as mediators in the process. From the initial visit with the mediator, the spouses work as problem solvers with the goal of reaching a settlement that is fair and agreeable. The mediator may also work with a family counselor of the couple’s choosing. The settlement is then reviewed by each spouse’s private attorney. The two attorneys then process the documents to complete the divorce
THE ADVANTAGES OF MEDIATION
Over the years, mediation has become a more acceptable method of resolving a variety of disputes, including business and family disputes as well as divorce. It is a sensible approach that emphasizes informed decision-making and restores communication between divorcing spouses
Divorce Mediation develops mutually acceptable agreements, moving quickly and saving money in addition to many other benefits:
- Mediation is LESS TIME CONSUMING for you and your spouse than the court process
- You maintain PERSONAL CONTROL over the settlement process
- You, your spouse and children involved in divorce mediation can dramatically REDUCE EMOTIONAL TRAUMA
- You and your spouse, working with the family law attorney serving as mediator, are PROVIDED RELIABLE INFORMATION THAT ALLOWS YOU TO MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS
- You can ELIMINATE CONFLITS BEFORE THEY ARISE on key issues such as property and taxes
- Your situation and its SENSITIVE ISSUES REMAIN PRIVATE, avoiding the emotional distress and embarrassment of a public courtroom display
- You maintain the FREEDOM to negotiation your own DIVORCE SETTLEMENT WITHOUT COURT INTERVENTION
- Mediation agreements among divorcing couples are LESS EXPENSIVE and have a HIGHER RATE OF SUCCESS, with studies proving their DURABILITY over conventional settlements
THE RIGHT CHOICE
Mediation can be used by couples at any stage of the separation and divorce process. It is also available to conventional court-divorced spouses who wish to resolve new issues. It is the right choice if both spouses commit to working together in an informed, cooperative setting. The results? A positive, mature and cost-effective alternative to the destructive escalation of conventional divorce.
Getting Legal Help
At Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP, our experienced and caring divorce lawyers know that the issues you’re facing are complex, difficult and emotional. However, we will do everything we can to help you divorce with respect, always consider the best interests of your children, make wise financial decisions and move forward in your life. As specialists in family law issues, Hal Bartholomew & Diane Wasznicky are committed to settling disputes quickly, fairly and economically. Along with the assistance of the firm’s associates and professional staff, clients are provided with the highest level of research and analysis, and confidential guidance in order to reach resolution. Call us at (916) 455-5200 or email us at info@DivorceWithRespect.com