Thinking about getting a divorce? Before you make that first appointment with your Sacramento attorney, there are a few steps you can take to help keep costs down and ensure that you land on your feet.
- Create an emergency expenses fund. It is important to have the necessary funds to pay day-to-day bills while resolving the issues in your divorce.
- Organize your documents. You need copies of all account statements, including stocks, IRAs, bank accounts, insurances, tax returns, time shares, executive perks, annuities and professional licenses; you probably have more assets than you realize.
- Get a copy of your credit report as soon as possible.
- Open accounts in your name, including a credit card.
- Update documents with new beneficiary and designee names, including your Living Will and Durable Power of Attorney.
- Open a post office box. You’ll be able to communicate privately with your divorce team and financial institutions.
- Try to settle out of court. When you need the court to step in and decide matters, the cost rises exponentially. Consider either divorce mediation or collaborative divorce before hiring a litigation attorney.
- Hire an experienced legal team. Today’s divorce attorneys must be specialists, able to handle the legal, emotional and financial aspects of a client’s case. Investigate before you hire. Look for years of experience, compassion, competence and persistence – someone you can trust with intimate details of your life.
Getting Legal Help
Experienced Sacramento Family Law Attorney Hal Bartholomew can help you navigate your divorce and child custody issues with respect and compassion. Contact Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP today for knowledgeable and respectful representation. Call us at (916) 546-4393 or email us at info@DivorceWithRespect.com.